I've got a big heart....

to share with you!  It's close to Valentine's Day and I'm in the mood to make some decorations.  I've covered a large paper mache heart (about 14" x 12") with various papers.  Here it is:

































I covered the heart with Tim Holtz's tissue paper using Claudine Helmuth's Matt Medium (love this stuff) and then went over it with Pink Distress stain and brown ink.  I then stamped the edge on the one side with clear embossing ink, a Tim Holtz flourish stamp and white Utee.  Now for the patchwork side!  This wasn't very hard to do, just a little time consuming.  I cut out various squares of paper from My Mind's Eye(Love Me) and Basic Grey's(Kissing Booth) Valentine collections.  I lightly taped(scotch tape) them together on the back so they fit perfectly together. Next I took my WRMK sewing tool and various stitching heads to punch out the patterns for my stitching.  This part was a little tricky as you need to run the tool down the center of the two pieced papers.  With the scotch tape underneath the paper, the tool does not punch all the way through but enough to mark the pattern. With embroidery floss, stitch all the pieces.  After that was finished I wet the paper and gently dabbed with paper towel after.  This helps mold the paper to the heart but careful not to tear your piece.  Apply Matt Medium to the side of the heart you are  going to cover and position your paper on it.  Some areas are going to crease if your heart is curved like mine.  Before it dried, I curled up the edges.  Next I cut out various flowers. the tissue ones are cut out with Spellbinder dies, the accordion and red ones are with Tim Holtz dies.  The banners are made from My Mind's Eye banner paper, and circles cut out from various papers. I added in some prima jewels and a few diecuts from My Mind's Eye.



Here's a few close-ups:

                          



I tied some tulle at the top so it could be hung up and it was done.  I'm working on a heart shaped Valentine box, similar but smaller than this one I made last year:



This box was from Making Memories, which was filled with Valentine embellishments.  I covered the bottom, took out the plastic on the lid and turned it into a shadow box.  I had to make my own shaped box this time, I'll show you as soon as it's done!
Have a great week!

6 comments

Lynn said...

Gorgeous projects! Your so amazingly talented! Thanks too for all your help today at Urban! Your the best!

Sandra D said...

Jan, this is a stunning piece of art! I love the way you have combined all the different elements - they work together so well.

Monica said...

Very very beatiful.
Bye
Moni

KellyCreates said...

I'm exhausted just reading about this amazingly beautiful creation! The patchwork alone is incredible!! LOVE :)

Akiko Floral Artistry said...

where did you get the Making Memories box? Did you make the paper mache heart yourself? They are AMAZING! I was admiring them at the store and hope I can get some vday stuff done before the big day....hmmmm

Malgorzata said...

I like your comment.I feel the same :)
Jan you are awesome!

Back to Top